Monday, July 28, 2008

An Introduction to the ACS Blog

I would like to note that the purpose of this blog is not to edify myself, for to me animal rescue is something I must do just as much as other people are compelled to eat, sleep, and breathe. I am not out for recognition nor for praise or promotion. Simply, I would like to give a voice to the animals who have come to reside here, and more specifically, to make others aware of why they are here. I believe that education and awareness are the key to making sure that animals never wind up neglected, abused, and homeless to begin with. Thus, you will not find this blog asking for funding, bemoaning the personal burdens of rescue, nor focusing on my efforts over the actual profile of the rescued animal.

That being said, some background on "All Creatures Small" is in order. ACS, simply enough, is a one person, privately funded, rescue, rehab, and sanctuary for - you guessed it - a variety of small animals. Initially, it started primarily as wildlife rehabilitation with the occasional domestic creature that worked its way in. Today, efforts focus on providing sanctuary to small animals and exotics, fostering/adopting out those that can not be accommodated long term, placement assistance, small scale wildlife rehabilitation, and educational efforts. All of the above are strictly as time, space, and funding permits; the focus here is on quality, not quantity; being privately funded, I've elected to invest my resources to a very high standard of care for fewer long term inhabitants rather than acceptable but no-frills care for a large number of transients. Certainly I admire such facilities that place a large number of animals in loving homes, but simply enough ACS is more sanctuary-minded than shelter-minded.

This is about as much of an intro as you are going to get; I will not be giving out my location because I do not wish to take in any more animals at this point in time. I will not be giving out my name for similar reasons, nor will I be soliciting donations, posting animals for adoption, etc. The rest, from here on, is their stories and their stories alone. I hope you enjoy learning about the special creatures who live here.

No comments: